When What Used To Work Stops Working
Local businesses are in a quiet panic. Many have gone along doing the same marketing over and over and using the same methods to attract customers and finding that the results are not the same now.
Tempting as it is to say "We told you this was coming... but you wouldn't listen.", that's not much help so maybe you who own a local business will be more receptive now to try some other methods.
Oh but you don't like the internet?
Too bad. We do and that's where we make decisions about who to give our money to.
Get used to it.
Now before you start asking about guarantees and return on investment or thinking you'll get your teenager to set up a Facebook page for you here are some points to get your head around.
1) Setting up a Facebook page is not a marketing plan. If you give money to someone like that then you deserve to lose it.
2) If you have no way to measure your old marketing results, don't ask about ROI on social media marketing.
3) "We put out a catalogue and people came into the shop" isn't measuring results.
4) Your marketing may not be what's keeping people away. Maybe it *is* You.
5) You're going to have to do some research.
6) If you have no idea how to research or what to research then you would do well to get someone in who does.
7) You're going to have to get your hands dirty. Yup. You are going to need to polish off those social skills and actually engage with people.
8) No the internet is not only full of people who live on the other side of the world. It is full of people who live locally too. In fact, it is full of people who maybe used to go to your business. But you may not know that since most businesses have a dismal record when it comes to collecting data on who customers are and what they like and how to reach them.
9) You'll need some patience. You've spent years getting into this position and building your online network and developing some online presence is going to take a little time to mature. Just like anything else.
10) Think of your business efforts online as another staff member. A golden employee who never complains, works 24/7 and never takes a holiday. Treat them well.
A review is a great place to start and there is no time like the present.
Good luck with it and if you need a hand, well give me a yell.
The Dirty Secrets Business Needs To Know About Social Media
Why You Need To Build Your Mailing List And How To Do It
How To Get Your Local Business Found Online
How-To: Developing A Social Media Strategy For Marketing
Quick & Dirty Business Review
Test Your Website For Roadworthiness
What You Should Know About Social Media For Business